Located on the Big Island of Hawaii, Kohala Nursery, Inc. is the largest producer of rhapis excelsa and Hawaiian kentia palms in North America. We are known for our professional grade Hawaiian grown palms, which include kentia, rhapis, and caryota palms. We are certified to ship to California and Canada.
Founder Tamo Kitagawa began nursery production in Hawaii in 1973. For over 40 years, the name Kohala Nursery has been synonymous with the highest quality interior plants.
In keeping with our tradition of providing quality and value to our customers, we maintain the highest standards of plant production at our 87 acre coqui-free nursery.
Why buy Kohala Nursery plants?
Hawaiian palms are well known for their durability, beauty and color. Hawaii’s ideal growing conditions combined with our many years of experience, allow us to produce truly premium quality rhapis, kentia and caryota palms with deep vibrant color and strong root and shoot systems. Our Professional Grade Plants are grown in a Hawaiian volcanic cinder and peat potting mix which results in a superior root system with excellent aeration.
Benefits of Hawaiian Potting Mix
- Water retention – peat & cinder
- Cation exchange Cinder – low, Peat – higher
- Great air exchange due to porosity
- Low shrinkage due to cinder not breaking down use of long lasting peat
- Sterile media as cinder is heat treated
- Good capillary action
- Less breakdown and decomposition of organic material lends for a more stable media which is also less prone to soil insects